Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Introducing Miss Josephine March

Sorry Jo! She hates to be called Josephine, you know. If you don't know, she is based on the character Jo in Louisa May Alcott's classic, "Little Women". Before reading this book, I had read lots of Nancy Drew and then I read (and loved) The Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. "Little Women" was my first BIG book. I read it in the fifth grade and I was as happy as a clam to come home from school, make a peanut butter and butter sandwich with a glass of milk on the side and start reading, reading, reading! I would lay on my side on my blue gingham canopy bed and put the book on the pillow next to me. It was so heavy! When it was time to turn the page, I would roll over and take the book with me and lay it on my other side! I loved this book so much. I think I love it even more now as an adult. I feel like I have related to different aspects of all the sisters at different times in my life.

Anyway, this is my version of Jo. She has just joined Beth in the shop. Who shall I do next? Meg? And leave Amy for last? I think that would be fitting since she is the baby. I am thinking of making Meg in her wedding gown. Wouldn't that be pretty?

6 comments:

Alisa Noble said...

Oh Bettsi! Your "little women" are darling! That was my favorite book when I was young... still is a favorite.

Thanks so much for the craft show advice. I was thinking exactly along the same lines... so this confirms it for me. I have a small leather suitcase that I thought of using, as well as, a small leather trunk. I thought the leather had an autumn feel to it. And I feel that autumn and travel go together well.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Oh, I loved "Little Women" as a girl. I even read (and loved) "Little Men." How sweet that you're making these. You made me smile today! -Julia :-)

Robin said...

they are precious! I never read the book all the way through! I'm a huge reader but not so much when I was younger.........

Anonymous said...

So cute! I like what you said about relating to each of the girls at some point in your life. Everytime I read it I see that too. Just goes to show how we are constantly growing and changing!

Anonymous said...

She is an utter sweetie! Jo was always my fav. as she was just that bit wilder than the others. She sucked up not going on the Europe trip well though. To me she had guts and I was a bit of a rebel. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh she is so nice! Jo was always my favorite. I wish money were not so tight right now, or I would buy her! Arghh.. Cross your fingers I get a full-time job soon!