Sunday, June 14, 2009

Love Letter From 1956

That is what this little ottoman is- a love letter! I bought this last fall at my favorite Goodwill. It was one of those silly moments we thrifters all have- you see an object and immediately grab for it, afraid that someone else is about to d0 the same thing! And then...your rational mind steps in and reminds you that the object is a stained and tattered ottoman! It's a real clash of the left and right sides of the brain, isn't it?
Anywhoooo.... this was covered in a beautiful old barkcloth, but it was water stained and ripped. It took many months to finally get around to re-covering it. I think it turned out pretty cute! The very enchanting part of the project came when I had the thing flipped over and was struggling to tug the cover over the foam. In very faint pencil this was written on the bottom of the ottoman: "This was made by Neil and Margaret, Sacramento, Cal., 1956". Awwwww. How sweet is that?
I did some other decorating in the living room too. Since my dining room is now my roommate (and beloved stepdaughter), Kelly's room, I've had to re-think a lot of my home's layout. I originally moved my big craft hutches into the garage, but recently realized that they would be a very welcome addition to my living room! Check it out:
Nice, huh? I think it really brings in that coastal vibe I've been wanting. See the little hope chest under the window? I'm picturing yellow and white cabana stripes painted on it! So bright and happy!
Now I am really itching to paint the walls! Except, I think I will cut the blue in half with white. I really want it to be very soft. In the photo below it looks great, but at night it's a little more colorful than I want it to be.
Just to illustrate how much my poor living room needed this change, this is how this room has looked since Earl moved out last summer:
Ugghh! No wonder I'm ready for a change. Especially since this entire color scheme was chosen to accomodate him. I didn't hate it, but it never felt like "me". Hope you all have a lovely week!
Hugs to all!

2 comments:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Those hutches look great! I can see that material on your hope chest - it'll make cute seating! It's fun to change things around and I like the beachy look too. Have you seen that mag Coastal Living? It has really inspiring photos.

Manuela

Tracey said...

Hi Bettsi,

I love when you find little handwritten notes and treasures... it makes the piece even more special! I love the ottoman, so cute! Can't wait to see what your room looks like when its bright and cheery!